January 19th, 2011 • News
South London’s Escapists are one of the best new bands in the capital, we’d confidently suggest. Formerly known as Heart On Fire, they changed their name to Escapists last summer and began gigging London’s bars and clubs furiously. They also won the Road To Standon (Calling) competition, which secured them a slot on the main stage at the Hertfordshire festival in August – a big stage appearance that is sure to be the first of many.
Mixing elements, of North American alt-rock (Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, The National) with elements of early U2 and Coldplay, this is clearly a band with great ambition and a firm vision of where they want to be (not dive bars). Their songs are atmospheric, emotional and almost always bear that all important quality of having a memorable, fist-pumping chorus – qualities that’ll no doubt stand them in good stead as they embark on the big push into the public’s consciousness.
On the two occasions they’ve played LFC in the past (April and October ’10), they’ve turned heads. They’ll play with Let’s Buy Happiness and The Collectable Few on the 27th – come on down to witness the early stages of a band with some serious big game potential.
Location: London, UK
Lineup: Simon Glancy (Vocals, Guitar), Oli Court (Guitar), Max Perryment (Bass), Andy Walsh (Drums)
Previous LFC appearances: 2
Blog love: “They’ve only got demos recorded so far but they show ambition and promise very good things” (Gramofoam)
LFC 4th Birthday show details: The Macbeth, 27 Jan, on-stage 8.45pm RSVP TICKETS
Who are you?
S: Escapists, a London four piece inspired by early 00′s indie from the other side of the pond: Arcade Fire, The National and Broken Social Scene. We’re trying to show that danceable guitar music will always have its place on the radio and in people’s hearts.
What were your highlights of 2010?
S: Seeing The National and Arcade Fire in the same snow covered week in December.
O: Standon Calling Festival in the summer – a great debauch (and we got to play).
What are you most looking forward to in 2011?
S: Finishing our record and releasing some tunes.
Do you have anything available to buy right now?
O: Not yet, but we have free demo CDs at all our gigs and our songs are available to stream online at escapistsmusic.com.
What’s been your best gig(s) to date?
S: Laissez Faire Club at The Lock Tavern – the room was so packed that it was hard to tell where front row ended and band began. Also York Freshers Ball supporting Marina And The Diamonds – for some reason we played after her at about 1.30am. We stepped out to a near empty 1,000 capacity venue but after we opened people came streaming back up the the stairs into the auditorium and we ended up having one of our best shows.
O: The first gig where we really started to get heads turning was The Bedford in Balham about a year ago. Plus it’s a lovely little boozer.
And finally, why should people attend your gig?
S: To see four guys playing to the best of their abilities and never not giving their all.
O: Apparently we’re like Mumford And Sons but really loud. So if you like Mumford, and/or have hearing problems, then I guess you’ll enjoy our gig.
MP3: Escapists – Burial
Connect with RethinkPopMusic On:
join our list for event notifications and artist news
- Morrissey released 'Autobiography' in North America, doing NYC book signing this week December 7, 2013
- 2014 Grammy Nominees (full list includes Vampire Weekend, The National, Disclosure, Tame Impala, Neko Case, Daft Punk & more) December 7, 2013
- What's going on Saturday? (Luscious Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Soupcans, Real Estate, Machinedrum, Rock Lottery & more) December 7, 2013
- Nick Lowe released a holiday album; Sunday's Rough Trade in-store moved to Music Hall of Williamsburg December 6, 2013
- reggae duo Keith & Tex reunited, playing NYC, London International Ska Festival (line-up) & other dates December 6, 2013
- VHS Darling Jan Terri Returns to Reggies December 4, 2013
- InnerVisionists Share Their Vision: An EP in Review November 28, 2013
- Happy Holidays! Love, Riot Fest. November 27, 2013
- Contest! Lissie @ Park West on Friday! November 25, 2013
- Chance the Rapper Brings Acid Rap to the Riv November 25, 2013
- Tyler, the Creator Expands Spring Tour, Adding Dates With Earl Sweatshirt March 14, 2013
- SXSW: Pitchfork's Show No Mercy With Skeletonwitch, Trash Talk, Pallbearer, and More March 14, 2013
- Echo Chamber: DIIV: "Fuck SXSW" March 14, 2013
- SXSW: Eagulls March 14, 2013
- Lil Wayne Was Hospitalized for Seizures Again March 14, 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- November 2008
- October 2008