January 20th, 2011 • News
London’s Channel Cairo are purveyors of dark, haunting and romantic indie-pop, or pop-noir in short. Their piano led, anthemic arrangements do remind us of early 00′s band Thirteen Senses, and there’s also obvious comparisons to be made with the likes of The Cure, The Smiths and latterly The Killers.
Like many of the other bands playing our fourth birthday shows, they’re not overly concerned with current trends, instead choosing to concentrate on solid songwriting with memorable hooks. Ones that bore their way inside your head, and stay there. We firmly believe that if you stick to your guns, and you’re good enough, your music will find an audience. And by this reckoning, we’re backing Channel Cairo to succeed.
They haven’t been around for too long, so there’s not a great deal else we can reveal about them, apart from the fact they rehearse next to a whiskey bar (of course they do), and often collaborate with interesting photographers and film makers, to offer us an intriguing audio-visual package. Get down to The Macbeth early on the 27th to catch their live show.
Location: London, UK
Lineup: Josh Bowyer (Vocals, Keys), Luke Saunders (Guitar), Hamish Murtagh (Guitar, Backing Vocals), Joe Cross (Bass, Backing Vocals), James Gardiner (Drums)
Previous LFC appearances: 0
Blog love: “London’s most exciting newcomers” (Gigjunkie)
LFC 4th Birthday show details: The Macbeth, 27 Jan, on-stage 8.00pm RSVP TICKETS
Who are you?
We’re an Anglo-French 5 piece living in London , playing big intriguing indie songs. AKA “Haunting, epic pop”, according to Rough Trade.
What were your highlights of 2010?
Meeting the crazy guy who flew over from Cairo to watch us play. The power in our band name took us all quite by surprise.
What are you most looking forward to in 2011?
Probably the final mix of our debut album. That’ll be a good day. We’ll crack open the bourbon and our manager will have to take us out for steak. That and playing our first festival gig.
Do you have anything available to buy right now?
Nothing official yet, but we have an unofficial EP demo available to hear online and a remix of ‘Twenty’ by upcoming producer Andrew Maury of RAC available to download. We’re also selling off our souls, again unofficially. Hamish’s is the only one currently sold, which is why he has no shadow.
What’s been your best gig(s) to date?
June 2010. Canonbury tube station. Waiting for the last tube home after a gig we got carried away and ended up playing for hours and sharing taxis with some people that stayed. Other than that we played a wild gig to a sold out 100 club which was phenomenal.
And finally, why should people attend your gig?
Josh is our Ginsberg and we’re building a new beat generation for the ’10s. We want to reignite the flame of giant romantic indie – if we succeed by summer, you’ll know about it.
Connect with RethinkPopMusic On:
join our list for event notifications and artist news
- Boston Calling September 2014 lineup (The National, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Replacements, Nas x The Roots and more) April 23, 2014
- tix on sale: Bryan Ferry, Crosby Stills & Nash, Vince Clark, Modern Baseball, Coldplay, Forgetters, Endless Boogie, more April 23, 2014
- Tombs release "Edge of Darkness" from new LP (listen) April 23, 2014
- Echo & the Bunnymen Irving Plaza shows on BrooklynVegan presale (password HERE) April 23, 2014
- Wiz Khalifa, Jeezy, Ty Dolla $ign, Rich Homie Quan, Iamsu & more on 'Under the Influence of Music' 2014 tour (dates) April 23, 2014
- Blondes Groove Deep Into The Night at Smartbar 04/19 April 22, 2014
- Heritage and Heart: Regina Carter and Mavis Staples at Symphony Center, 4/18 April 22, 2014
- Review: The National Fits Their Sound Into Untitled April 21, 2014
- Josh Ritter Premieres New Songs at City Winery 4/21 & 4/23 April 18, 2014
- Riot Fest Announces 2014 Chicago Dates April 18, 2014
- Tyler, the Creator Expands Spring Tour, Adding Dates With Earl Sweatshirt March 14, 2013
- SXSW: Pitchfork's Show No Mercy With Skeletonwitch, Trash Talk, Pallbearer, and More March 14, 2013
- Echo Chamber: DIIV: "Fuck SXSW" March 14, 2013
- SXSW: Eagulls March 14, 2013
- Lil Wayne Was Hospitalized for Seizures Again March 14, 2013
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- November 2008
- October 2008