VENUE ADDRESS: 119 Ingraham Street, Brooklyn, NY Map Link
10:30pm Magic Man | 9:30pm Headless Horseman
8:30pm Slam Donahue | 7:30pm The Yes Way | 6:45pm Wowser Bowser
6:00pm Courtesy Tier | 5:15pm Fort Lean | 4:30pm Little Gold
3:45pm Backwords | 3:00pm Cold Fronts
The Yes Way or the Highway
by Meijin Bruttomesso
Brooklynites, Aaron Mendelsohn (vocals, guitar), Nick Burleigh (guitar, violin, bass, keyboard, vocals), Mike Drucker(bass, guitar, violin, vocals), and Jesse Bilotta (drums, vocals) collaborate on a pleasantly pop-rock project, The Yes Way. Although active around town and in recording, the multi-instrumental pack has yet to say, “yes,” to an official release date of any type of album. When the quartet gives the affirmative, the record will most likely include the following tracks. “When It Breaks” cheerfully pulses and swings with staccato piano chords and descending guitar arpeggios. Distortion ebbs and flows, settling into sauntering beats, playful guitar strums, and uplifting vocal harmonies on “Mets.” “Where Was I” continues The Yes Way’s recognizably clear vocals and hybridizes peppy pop melodies with psychedelic reverb. Both the high spirit of the expression, “TGIF!” and the tension of an entire work week are embodied in the ode, “Friday,” and represented by the tremolo guitar introduction, anxious pace, and minor key. The Yes Way are taking a path less common than most pop indie bands, and their future projects are much anticipated.
What is the “yes way?”
The opposite of “No Way,” and a nod to open-mindedness. The defiance of cynicism. A band name.
How did you each get involved in music? Who or what inspired you to follow it as a career?
We’ve all been playing from a young age. To tour and inspire and communicate on a large scale through music is a lifelong dream. From our early stages as a band, jamming and writing, we’ve been developing a certain confidence in our vision that doesn’t allow us to entertain other career options.
With whom and where would you most like to tour? Why?
We’d like to tour with Ra Ra Riot, White Rabbits, or Local Natives because of their rabid optimistic youthful and large fan bases. We’ll go anywhere.
How does the song-writing and composition come about? Where do you get your inspiration?
As a starting point, it’s a pretty even split between Aaron at home with an acoustic guitar, and the full band jam sessions at the rehearsal space. Inspiration comes from love, community, loss, lacking, but mostly from each other.
What is it like being a New York artist? What are the best and worst aspects?
As musicians in New York, we feel strangely anonymous and yet part of a beautiful community of like-minded people. The best part of New York is that you are surrounded by so much quality music that it motivates you and drives you to always work more and harder at your craft. The worst part is that, due to this over-saturation of quality, generally nobody really cares about what you do. The scene sometimes feels un-navigable, and you run around aimlessly working your ass off. Then, suddenly, beautifully, you find all these people at your show digging it and realize that the word has been spreading, and the people are starting to care.
If you could write the future for The Yes Way, what would happen in the next five years?
We will be putting the food on the table with the music we’re making, and filling the rooms everywhere we play on tour. And we will be proud of the records we’re making.
Connect with RethinkPopMusic On:
join our list for event notifications and artist news
- Carcass, Gorguts, Noisem & Black Dahlia Murder announced for 2014 Decibel tour (Best Buy Theater included) December 6, 2013
- Hyrrokkin & Pants Exploder streaming stuff, playing Union Pool with Zevious and Matt Schulz & Greg Saunier December 6, 2013
- Warpaint share second song off new LP, announce 2014 dates December 6, 2013
- Daniel Rossen of Grizzly Bear announces first-ever solo tour, playing Music Hall of Williamsburg (on sale now) - dates/MP3 December 6, 2013
- Rolling Stone says "Blurred Lines" is the worst song ever (but also the 50th best of 2013) December 6, 2013
- VHS Darling Jan Terri Returns to Reggies December 4, 2013
- InnerVisionists Share Their Vision: An EP in Review November 28, 2013
- Happy Holidays! Love, Riot Fest. November 27, 2013
- Contest! Lissie @ Park West on Friday! November 25, 2013
- Chance the Rapper Brings Acid Rap to the Riv November 25, 2013
- Tyler, the Creator Expands Spring Tour, Adding Dates With Earl Sweatshirt March 14, 2013
- SXSW: Pitchfork's Show No Mercy With Skeletonwitch, Trash Talk, Pallbearer, and More March 14, 2013
- Echo Chamber: DIIV: "Fuck SXSW" March 14, 2013
- SXSW: Eagulls March 14, 2013
- Lil Wayne Was Hospitalized for Seizures Again March 14, 2013
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- November 2008
- October 2008